Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Garmin Edge 205 Survives Second Surgery and Secret Codes

The good news about last week is that I scored a hat trick in bike commuting.  The bad news is that I was late for the staff meeting on Wednesday because of bike trouble.


While zipping thru a pedestrian shortcut sidewalk section, my Garmin fell off the bike.  It bounced off the crank and frame and hit the ground rolling and split into 5 pieces.  I think it was more susceptible to breaking apart because I'd already cracked the unit open earlier this year and glued her back together with rubber cement only.


After yesterday morning's ride I tried for about an hour to fix the unit.  Shaky coffee hands didn't help the soldering skills.  As a last ditch effort, I soldered the battery leads to an different pair of points than the OEM config, and with a bit of shimming and contact bending/enabling, she works once more!!!!!


The funny thing was that I stumbled on a developer's screen config mode of some sort while the unit was glued and clamped.  Some combination of buttons I pressed brought up a screen that had all types of data types.  One of them was temperature and the temp said 16 degrees (which is accurate for Celsius in my kitchen).  Pisses me off that the hardware can capture temperature but that the embedded software on this cheapest of Garmin units dummies down what the hardware is capable of.



Media_httpstaticgarmi_gucms


AHA!  I found the secret codes....


Garmin Edge Diagnostic Mode



  • Power + Enter (hold 5 sec)

    0423111144




Garmin Edge Reset



  • Power + Lap = hardware (hold 10 sec)

  • Mode + Lap = software (hold 10 sec)

  • Lap + Start/Stop = data purge (hold 10 sec)


More secret codes!!!!   From http://www.penyagolosa.net/docs/manuales_gps/Manuales_GARMIN/Garmin%20ForeRun...




Garmin_ForeRunner201_Funciones_no_documentadas_Ingles.pdf
Download this file





 

No comments:

Post a Comment