Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

X11VNC from boot on Ubuntu 12.10 without logging in

from:  VNC from boot on Ubuntu 12.04 without logging in, using LightDM (or GDM) and x11vnc (includes LUbuntu with lxdm and Linux Mint LMDE with mdm) - Seb Maynard :: seb.so:


Step 1 – we want the VNC server to have a password, just in case – the VNC port shouldn’t really be exposed to the outside world – it’s easy to wrap it in an SSH connection to encrypt everything for you (see here for a good explanation of how to set that up).
sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass
This will prompt you for a password to (lightly) secure your VNC server.
Step 2a (for LightDM – XUbuntu, and all Ubuntu variants 12.04 onwards) – create the upstart job. Put this in /etc/init/x11vnc.conf :
start on login-session-start
script
/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
end script

Step 3 – Reboot 

'via Blog this'

2 comments:

  1. HI Buffalo,

    Thanks for this how to. Some of the stuff you learn from the community members is priceless.

    I'm in the process of setting up, Manually! a media center.

    I say manually (Which is the hard way these days, apparently) because I want to learn what goes into it and therefore having some semblance of independence.

    Being relatively new to Linux and using K/L/Xubuntu for the last 12 months, please forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm yet to get a complete grasp on all things linux-principals. :)

    It seems possible to start a headless Virtual Machine OS on boot using this same idea of creating an init script?

    Now that I think about it, it seems that's one of the purposes of init scripts?

    ok, now I'm having a conversation with myself in someone else’s blog.

    Know a good therapist? :)

    Regards
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, Nick. The original poster of this trick is in the link at the top of my post.

      Delete