Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Four Recent Rides (Two Down the Ocean, Hon)

Over the last 2 weeks:

Down the Ocean OC to Fenwick Quick Ride


While Baltimore was getting 8 inches of rain, the weather in OC was just windy and cloudy.  Rode north from the Carousel Hotel with a tail wind.  Turned around at Fenwick Island State Park.  Lopped past the Fenwick Island lighthouse.  Took a dip in a rough ocean.  Didn't go in over my thighs cuz the longshore current woulda sent me 2 blocks north per minute.

0930100826


First TMR in Ages


Broke the Huffy fixie out for a TMR last week.  All the usual suspects and some new suspects since the last time I joined.  Big gaps between front and back of pack these days.  I shortcutted Rockwell for the first time ever, those guys are fast or I am slow (probably the latter).


Pre-Seagull Naylor Mill MTB


For 3 years now my buddy jack and I have been meeting on the Friday before Seagull at what MTBR calls the best MTB trails on the Eastern Shore.  Naylor Mill Park in Salisbury is a spaghetti network of twisty singletrack.  Lots of skinnies and fun manmade bridges too.  I wore out my front Avid disc pads to the springs and had to remove them mid ride.  Saw 3 other bikers out there for the first time and I've been at least 5 or 6 times.


2010 Seagull Century


Perfect weather (high 70's not a cloud in the sky) made for a fun Seagull.  Rode with my buddy, Jack, and his friend Walt.  All three of us on Fixies.  I took out the Soma Special Ed with a 48X17 instead of opting for the Huffy.  Jumped on a nice 22mph train on the way to rest stop 1.  Chatted with these dudes that have a recumbent-reverse-facing-tandem...pretty wild.  Rode a 20mph train into rest stop 2.  Saw Baler and Betsy there on their way out.  Lotsa ambulances in the first 40 miles too.  I hope no one's hurt real bad.  Drafted at about 19mph with a group of four on the way to rest stop 3 at Assateague.  Saw some ponies and took a dip in the Atlantic.  Felt so good!  After rest stop 3 I didn't ride with any more big groups.  Average speed suffered but the workout was enhanced.  Rest stop 4 had cherry pie and ice cream.  Finished up, grabbed t-shirt, bid farewell to Baler in the beer garden.


 




1010100855


 

1 comment:

  1. Cool Blog & Nice pics! This was my first Century after a 4.5 hour 63 mile Tour Du Port the weekend before. Rode both on my Dawes fixie 48/18 about 20 MPH avg. Finished the Seagull in 8 hours with a long stop in Powellville, the Pie & Ice Cream was just way too good. GOOD TIMES! Ready to do it all over again, maybe with a longer chain length.-Corey#7842

    ReplyDelete