Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Baker's Dozen 2010

Great timez at Leesburg baker's Dozen!


0419100851


Arrived Friday around 1:30 to be greeted by Laura and Ryan.  Soon after setting up my camp the Wests arrived in the popup.  While setting up and readying for a couple pre-ride laps the wind whipped up and took down about 5 Easy-Tarps around us.  Yikes.

Pre-rides were fast and fun.  Madio, Mike, and I got in a lap together.  Me on the Fisti, Mike on the Niner, and Madi on the Klein.  I was sucking Mike's wheel and bonked hard through a rock hole/jump.  I expected a front flat but she held OK.  Later I noticed a big ding in the front rim but it was still good to race on.  Mike had a chain ring slippage issue so he put out an APB for a loaner ring (Nys came through on the 34T ring hookup later that night).  Then Mike and I pulled a second pre-ride.  Me on the 1X1 and he on the BMC.  We talked about how seriously hurt someone could get in the pines if bars crossed or tires washed out.  My bringing this up may have jinxed Mike because on Race Lap 1 he had a tangle with a pine, but luckily rode away with little injury.  Sorry, Mike!

Delicious dinner followed: ribs ala Madio, corn bread, and pasta salad.  Plenty to share with other AFCers and neighbors.  Jello birthday cake for Pat.  Seibold and family and the Calderone brothers joined us too for a great evening of hanging out.  Nystroms also made an appearance.  Patchy rain but everyone managed to stay dry.

Saturday morning it was up with the sun and coffee, pancakes, Canadian bacon ala Wests.  Mmmmm!  Got my hydration and nutrition laid out next to Calderone Geezer brothers transtion area.  Plenty of Cerasport, Gatorade, Hammer Gel, nuts and berries, Powerbars, Enduralytes, Advil, etc.  I figured I'd ride sans water to save weight and hydrate between laps.  That worked well.  After lap 10 it turned into a beer break between laps.  That worked even better!




Here's 12 of the 13 laps I did at Baker's Dozen.  Garmin died right after I finished lap 12.
This site does not support embedded trip maps. View the trip <a href="http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/684965" mce_href="http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/684965">here</a> instead.

Race Highlights:



  • Rode the geared Fisti for laps 1-7.  Got lots of crazy looks and "Man, hows the cross bike?" questioners.  Got some props for tearing up technical bits on Fisti too.

  • Rode the Surly 1X1 with 32:18 for laps 8-13.  It felt like a full squishy compared to the Fisti.  Let some air out of tires for laps 9-13 for even more squish.

  • Lap 1:  With the gears and the fast rolling cross bike I was didn't suffer a very bad bottleneck at the woods entrance.  It was, however, slow going for about a third of the lap as the field thinned out.

  • Lap 9:  Minor crash as I purposely bailed to the right to avoid crashing into a racer who I was approaching fast who then stalled in a rock section.  D'oh!

  • Lap 10:  After finishing the lap, a woman I know---let's call her Eve--offers me beer.  "Come on, drink it!  You've already got 10 laps and you're riding a single speed anyway."

  • Lap 12:  Fast dude in orange jacket attempts to pass me on a sketchy section without enough room.  Handlebars lock and we both go down.  I cuss a little bit, get up, tell him I'm OK and ride on.  Three minutes later he passes cautiously and apologizes.  Then he disappears down the trail in front of me like I was standing still.

  • Lap 13:  Only lap with lights.  Fun!  Finished by 8:30 or so and handed in my chip.



0418101249

Post ride festivities were great but I was really cold and bushed.  I changed into all the layers I had and ambled up to the bonfire for a couple beers and some Domino's Pizza....mmmmm!  As the band began to play me and the Nystroms hunkered down at their site for a great post ride recap.  I couldn't hang with the big dogs for long and went to the tent to be lulled to sleep by the sounds of the awesome band up the hill.  I dreamed of more laps.  I also dreamed that the announcers reported that Jeremiah Bishop had won the Men's Solo with 27 laps.  He wasn't even there!

Sunday morning pancakes in the heated West popup was just what the doctor ordered.  Then we all packed up and hit the road.

Congrats to all who raced!  Thanks to all who supported!  Get well soon to all those who got banged up!

Sadly, the posted race results are showing that I only got 11 laps.  Apparently my chip didn't register my 10th or my 12th laps;-(
Thus they have me as 49th out of 82.  When I give myself the 13 laps I would have placed 37th, well within my goal of riding 100+ miles and getting top 50% finish.  But I wonder how many other guys suffered the missing laps chip problem I did?!?!?!?!  I'm still deciding whether I should email the race promoter about my issue with the chips.  Next time I'll listen better for the beeps when crossing the mats and make sure that every lap counts.

Bib#10 William Blandford - Adventures for the Cure 11 laps 11:30:54.7
1: 41:07 41:06.3
2: 40:22 1:21:27.7
3: 43:23 2:04:50.4
4: 47:46 2:52:36.4
5: 44:43 3:37:18.8
6: 53:55 4:31:13.1
7: 55:39 5:26:52.0
8: 57:12 6:24:04.0
9: 2:05:56 8:29:59.4  (this was really the time for my laps 9 and 10)
10: 1:50:13 10:20:12.1  (this was really the time for my laps 11 and 12)
11: 1:10:43 11:30:54.7 (this was really the time for my lap 13)



 



 

2 comments:

  1. cool pics.. actually really great pics..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did email the race promoter with kudos for an awesome race. I gave an FYI but demanded no justice for my missing laps chip/timer issue. I got a reply that they reviewed results and would split original laps 9 and 10 into 9, 10, 11, and 12 so that my 13 would be reflected in final results. YAY!

    ReplyDelete