Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fisticuff Sliding Rear Disc Mount Issue Solved?!?!

I mentioned in my Fisticuff First Impressions post that I'd probably run into issue when trying to mount a fatter tire in the rear.  You see, the frame's rear disc brake mount doesn't want to allow for the axle to slide back in the track end drops.  This posed no problem with the 700X35 tire I originally mounted.

But last night I mounted a 700X45 in the rear and couldn't get frame clearance for the tire at seat tube or chain stays without sliding the axle 3/4 inch back in the drops.  Sliding the axle back in the drops took care of the tire/frame clearance, but posed a new problem with rotor caliper aligment.  So I got creative with the Avid Road Mecahnical brake's "74mm post mount to 51 mm IS mount" adapter.  I found that if I stacked all of the spacer/washers on the frame side of the caliper I could get the proper clearance to get the brake working!  Notice the photos of the FRONT with the default spacer/washer configuration and the REAR with the double-stack to allow clearance.






Now it just needs a test ride to make sure it works.  I'm also curious if switching from a 160mm rotor/adapter to a 185mm rotor/adapter would allow for a broader range of adjustability.


 

4 comments:

  1. oops, i meant like surly does with their karate monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo man, i just picked me up a used fisti, and i'm running into the same thing! bummer on vassago's part for not going with slotted rear disc mounts like they have on there karate monkey. how's your work around working? did the caliper still line up ok? still have to loosen the bolts to get the wheel out/in after a flat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ccrider - the brake workaround seemed to work fine. The caliper lined up ok, bit I still had to loosen bolts to change a flat. But the Panaracer Cross Fire 45 rubbed the stays whenever i got out of the saddle. I only rode it about 7 miles before cutting the ride short and then I switched back to the 700X35 and the original brake config,

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ccrider - a few more ideas1. I think this setup would have worked fine with a 700X42 or smaller. (there's not a good selection in 700X40+ tires out there though and I really wanted to run the Panaracer Cross Fire).2. Further experimentation with a 185 mount and/or rotor and messing around again with the caliper's adapter spacers could possibly allow the axle to go all the way back in the drops and maybe that would let the Panaracers clear the stays out of the saddle.3. Just take an angle grinder to the side knobs on the Panaracers and shave a few mm off so they don't rub the frame.4. Run a canti or V-Brake in the rear instead.5. Run fixie/brakeless in the rear

    ReplyDelete