Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Step Four In the Full Derailleur Housing Makeover for the Monkey

Stole the Shimano 8 speed barcon shifter mech off the Fisticuff and mounted it on the new Thumbie.  I love it because the tumbie is hinged so you can mount/remove without messing with the grip or brake lever.

[[posterous-content:pid___1]][[posterous-content:pid___3]]

The brake lever needed a little love because its mounting bolt had stripped out really badly.  The only thing keeping the lever from spinning 'round the bar with the old setup was the trigger shifter that it rested upon.

So I drilled out a hole and a countersunk hole for a bolt and nut to take over in the tightening department.  I was very pleased to keep these retro Avid SD 1.0 Levers in service;-)
[[posterous-content:pid___0]][[posterous-content:pid___2]]
Cable housing for the rear derailleur was 1500mm out of the box. I was about 100mm short;-(  Luckily I had an inline derailleur cable adjuster laying around so I could couple a short length of housing into the mix.[[posterous-content:pid___4]][[posterous-content:pid___5]]
The JBWelded cable housing guides did a fine job.  I now wish that I'd put a third one on the top tube.[[posterous-content:pid___7]][[posterous-content:pid___6]]
A new chain and a newish XTR M900 8 speed cassette finish out the parts list.  This cassette has 32, 28, 24, 21 cogs at the low end of the spectrum.  I think I'm going to like it a lot more than the 32, 26, 21, 18 low end that I was using on the SRAM 850 cassette.  These are the gears that I find myself using most often in the park so I'm sure I'll appreciate a few more options in the range.[[posterous-content:pid___8]][[posterous-content:pid___9]][[posterous-content:pid___10]]
Test ride around the yard reflects raving retro reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment