Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in the Rain

Had a work meeting in Cambridge, MD today so I figured I'd take the
fixie Huffy down and ride around Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge afterward.
Parked at the visitor center and donned the AFC kit in the bathroom.





Started the ride thinking that I'd do a 25 mile loop on roads around
the refuge
.  Soon after I changed my mind and decided to do an
in-and-back on the paved trail inside the refuge called Wildlife Drive,
and then an out-and-back on Maple Dam Road through the east end of the
swamps. Still got my intended 25 miles in and saw some cool wildlife
along the way: big turtle with red trim (Slider?), many Great Blue
Herons, Ospreys, many Red Winged Blackbirds, Fox with a gimpy left
front foot, Bald Eagle.

Steady rain the whole time and a little wind. I can count the cars
that I shared the road with on my fingers. Very casual pace with
frequent photo op stops.

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/33678357

1 comment: