Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Keen Commuter Sandals vs Keen Commuter 2 Sandals

Over the years I've used Lake and Shimano SPD sandals.  When it was time for a new pair I decide to give Keen a try.  My walkabout sandals were Keen Newports and I liked them very much.  So I figured I'd get the bike Keens in the same size and ordered a pair of first generation Keen Commuter Sandals in US size 11.5 (Euro 45.5) last September. 


1st generation Commuters



Keen1


The 11.5 Commuters didn't fit too badly for walking but riding was a different story.  While riding my foot was able to slide backwards right out of the sole.  Maybe my skinny ankle is the problem.  I tried to fix the problem by wearing socks.  Everyone knows that sock and sandals is a cool look;-)  Recently I wore the sandals with socks on a mountain ride and got them wet.  This made matters even worse and there was literally an inch of empty space in the toe box.  I decided to take advantage of Performance's 100% satisfaction guarantee and return them for a full refund; a generous poilcy considering I'd probably ordered the wrong size and used them for six months.


2nd generation Commuters



Keen2


A google search quickly brought up that REI was carrying the new generation Commuter 2 sandals.  Notice the new ankle strap;-)  I got a set of US size 11 this time and things are much better.  I can cinch down the new ankle strap and my skinny heel stays in the shoe now for the most part.  I have 2 nits to pick though:



  1. I wish the ankle strap was on the back of the ankle instead of in the front.  That'd hold my skinny heel forward even better.

  2. The cleat plate steel is soft and easy to strip out.  I had to steal a cleat plate from an old shoe and put it in the Keen because I stripped out the Keen cleat plate.  I know you think it's my fault for stripping it out, but I've been using Shimano SPDs since 1992 and have gone though at least a dozen pairs of shoes.  The Keens were the first cleat mount strip-outs in my SPD career.



Cimg0037

No comments:

Post a Comment