Posterous dies on 4/30/2013 so I've moved all my content and switched to Blogger.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stoopid Wheel 2 for the Fisti to be Built!

Don't try this at home!  36H Real front disc hub (Real nice!!) laced to a used 32H Salsa Delgado Cross rim with used spokes.

Notice how there's empty spoke holes at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock in the crappy cell phone photo closeup below.

Spoke Calculator (download spocalc here) called for 291.9mm on left and 293.2mm on the right.  But I didn't have those lengths laying around the shop;-(  So I used what I had...24 @ 288mm spokes and 8 longer 294mm spokes for the holes to the sides of the 4 blank holes on the hub.  Short nipples on the left side and long nipples on the right.  I prefer short nipples myself;-)


I always use 14G spokes and brass nipples because they are strongest (oh, and cheapest!!).


It was kinda hard to chase the hop out of this one while building because of...



  • used rim

  • different length spokes that were shorter than the spocalc recommended

  • different length nipples

  • half a dozen stripped nipples that needed the #2 spoke key instead of the #1 that used to fit them (do you like stripped nipples too?)


This mix required lots of chasing the hop around the wheel in the truing stand.  And don't even try to get even tone out of these spokes, mother plucker.  "Plink, plunk, plonk, dink, deenk, plunk,"  is kinda how she sounds when you pluck your way around to test even tension.  But alas, it came out true enough for the Kenda Cross tire.

The rim has also got a lot of brake wear, but I figure it'll be OK cause I'm going to run discs on the Fisti.  It also has a little flat spot front the previous owner bashing a pothole, but it's what I had laying around.

Total cost = $10 for the hub I found on Craigslist (the rest of the parts I had in shop collecting dust). 


Stoopid wheel = Priceless!


Reduce, reuse, recycle, retro-grouch.



No comments:

Post a Comment